Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Starting Seeds

I'm starting to wonder if the blog should be gerbick grown but ah well. So yesterday I started my first seeds for the 2009 garden....onions and peppers.

This is my grow setup version 1. I can't claim any of the ideas but it works so who cares. The base is 1/2" rigid foam insulation. The first layer is just strips to keep the base off the table. The second layer is just a flat base piece. The third layer is a coil of rope lights going back and forth with intermediate supports throughout. The top layer then has cutouts for the tupperware containers and the burpee grow system trays. The different container are sitting on plastic trays to trap water. The burpee system has the bottom watering fabric which is the black thing hanging into the orange water reservoir. The hanging light is a 48" (4) bulb flourescent light that I pulled out of the kitchen.

Each burpee container was for 72 cells so I had to sacrifice 12 cubes to fit on the trays leaving me with 60 each. That being said when the full system comes on line I'll have four tupperware containers (for onions at this point) pluss 120 cells for other plants.

Close-up of the cutouts for the trays and rope lights.

Onions.

Last night I planted:

Peppers:
Napolean Sweet (seedsaver.org)
Bulgarian Carrot (seedsaver.org)
Garden Sunshine (seedsaver.org)
Santa Fe Grande (seedsaver.org)
Anaheim Chili (old seed packs)
Serrano Chili (old seed packs)
5 Hot Mix (old seed packs)

Onions:
Red Onion (old seed packs)
Green Onion (old seed packs)
Ringmaster (botanical interests)
Yellow of Parma (seed saver)
Red Amposta (botanical interests)



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Judy said...

i have been praying that your house would not catch on fire. :)